Welcome! I hope you enjoy your time here and share your thoughts and opinions before you leave. And whether you represent a business looking to increase sales or hire new staff, or are a jobseeker looking for a new job or career, I hope you will also take a moment to visit my professional home at http://www.thinkbdm.com/ for services and solutions to acheive your goals.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Is it fair to disqualify a jobseeker who fails to follow instructions when applying?

Many Jobseekers fail to read and follow instructions when applying to jobs. Is it due to inability, incomprehension or indifference? Is it important? Does it affect their consideration?

After 20+ years I've found that the failure of most jobseekers to read and follow instructions is most often due to indifference. As such, I admittedly place a great deal of importance on it, but sometimes wonder if I'm being unfair. This, along with my empathy for and true desire to be helpful to jobseekers, is why I'm seeking to get and share the opinions of others on the subject, be they recruiters or hiring managers.

As much as I would like to believe in my own professionalism and my ability to rise above what many might say shouldn't be a big deal, I have to admit that unless the individual is a stellar candidate, not reading and properly following instructions will normally result in his or her candidacy being terminated, even where I sometimes [used to] commit the sin of going through the motions anyway.

These days, now that I’m wiser and much too lazy to go through the motions anyway, and maybe in an effort to be helpful, I will, where the opportunity exists, notify individuals of their errors and that they are not being considered as a result, all the while knowing that either by email or verbally, instead of the thanks and showering of praise and gifts I think I so rightly deserve for the lesson learned, I'll often be treated to some very colourful (it’s not spelled wrong, I’m Canadian) language and helpful advice on where I can stick or shove a variety of objects including my own head; something I find to be quite amusing as I’ve never been part of Cirque du Soleil and am not a contortionist. Fortunately I’m not one to hold a grudge, which is good since over the years I’ve found that I come across many of these same people and am often impressed by how well they follow instructions ;)

So tell me, am I being unfair in disqualifying candidates when they fail to read and follow instructions? In your own experience is it due to inability, incomprehension or indifference? Is it important? Does it affect their consideration?

















7 comments:

Amy L. Adler said...

Nigel,
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I support you tremendously. Recruiters work for the companies that pay them--making these companies their clients. This makes job seekers applying through you key stakeholders in the process if not actual clients (depending on the model--I know--bear with me). I'll bet, however, that the job seekers don't actually know this, and this is a key problem.

In answer to your question, I think you can disqualify people who don't follow instructions because you are screening, initially, for first impressions, which definitely count.

But, as you say, offering second chances to make that first impression might be worth your effort for a variety of reasons, which criteria, of course, are yours to determine.

Anonymous said...

good topic and i agree with the blogger .As i personally rely haevily on printed and or email correspodenece to provide direction to my staff i would be very hesitant to hire someone who didnt bother to read or folow intructions on an application form.For me This indicates clearly that they are either illiterate or simply to impatient & lazy to bother to fully comprehend the material before them and therefore unsuitable for the position in my opinion.

Mark Reynolds said...

I do it all the time. I use it as part of the screening process. If they can’t follow directions on the front end….who’s to say they will follow the important ones on the job!


Mark Reynolds
Vice President, Human Resources
Canlan Ice Sports Corp.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nigel,
I think the lack of following simple directions is primarily due to indifference (we all know the quality and enthusiasm of the work force out there isn't what it used to be). In our culturally diverse country there could also be interpretation or language barriers from time to time.

If the labour market is abundant and I have a steady stream of qualified candidates at my fingertips, the inability to follow simple direction is certainly a mark against them and their application would likely be "kept on file for future reference". However, in a labour drought like we've experience in recent years before the economy crunch, those that walk and breath (including those that didn't follow the application instructions), will likely be at least interviewed. Certainly not because there are other choices out there, but rather out of sheer desperation. Life is about supply and demand, the quality of choices we make are based on the flow of quality supply.

Viraf Baliwalla said...

If they can't follow simple instructions now, they won't later on. Chances are they didn't even bother to read the instructions. Nowadays many jobseekers are just firing off resumes without even reading to see if it is a fit. Don't waste your time by even considering these folks.

Regards,

Viraf Baliwalla
Automall Network

Anonymous said...

It's important - if they don't care enough at the application level - they sure won't care enough when completing important tasks.

Anonymous said...

It really depends. If you are recruiting for a difficult position and you only have a handful of qualified candidates, then I can be forgiving. But let's face it, if it is for a clerical position where you received tons of resumes, then paying attention to details factors in immediately.

- Arnel Araneta